Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Interpreters



Clare (middle) is a good frend and kept me supplied with tissues for when I had to use the restroom!

Nacy's English is very good! She says they don't have any real American friends, so they like talking with me.


Sophia (front, middle, white shirt) did not plan to come along as an interpreter, but was drafted! She's the oldest and one of the best.


The fingers. It's a Chinese thing! I'll be doing it before too long! These girls make a great team.


Being a translator here is not always easy because we are working in a hospital. There are about a dozen of us, mostly girls. Most of us are young and just want to help—we are by no means professionals. Students from a local college(Hunan college of Science and Arts) volunteered to help the mission. There are times when there is not much to do, but when we are needed it can be difficult. But because there are Chinese and American interpreters (some of the American doctors are ethnic Chinese and serve as interpreters as well) it goes very smoothly. Sometimes I need to run to another interpreter to ask about a word and sometimes they run to me. We say to each other, “If I have anything complicated, I will ask you!” Ha ha, we do have a good time doing it and really like being able to help with the work. In the spare time between jobs, we can help each other with new words and talk about different things in our lives. The conversation helps improve our language skills and is a good way to know each other better. We also visit with the kids who had surgery and their families. The children have parents, grandparents, aunts, siblings, and others staying with them. Each kid probably averages two or three family members with them.


Some children are orphans. I fell in love with one little orphan girl who is a year old (above). She wanted everybody to hold her and liked it when I came to see her. She was just so drooley and smiley and sweet! She especially loved playing with my hat. She had a cleft lip repared and looks great! It was hard to say goodbye. She was scheduled to go home today.

I worked in the OR the first day and the patient rooms the next. Today I am scheduled to serve in the OR again. I don't get near as much time with the kids and their family when I'm up there, but I do like serving there as well (mainly because there is more work to do). Please pr.y for more children to come and get surgery. They are running out of kids to work on. I know that sounds weird, but that is one of the things we need most right now. Thank you all!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting more pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally amazed with what you are doing. I'll look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The baby is adorable. How long do the children stay at the hospital after their lips are repaired? It is Thursday afternoon here; Heather and Leah are cleaning. It sure seems quiet without you here! Miss you and love you...Gram

    ReplyDelete